Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Best. Night. Yet. (except for Florida)


Rhys only woke up once last night:  1am and then back to sleep until 6:30am.  And the best part, well, for me anyway, was that Brian did the feeding.  So I slept from 10pm until 6am with just a minor wake up when Rhys (and Brian) got up.  I felt amazing today…almost as good as when I went to Florida and had two consecutive 8-hour sleep nights.  While I was still on maternity leave, my boss contacted me about traveling to Florida for a planning meeting the week after I returned to work.  I immediately started fantasizing about a full night or two of sleep and after talking it over with Brian, I decided to go.  Yes, Brian is an amazing husband and father.  He sent his wife off to the Florida Keys for sun, sleep and a couple hours of work while he stayed home with our son.  I must have been a saint in a former life to deserve this man.

Leading up to my trip, I started to worry about how much I would miss Rhys and Brian.  But my bigger worry?  That I would not be able to sleep when I was there.  Yes, I recognize that this does not qualify me for wife/mom of the year.  Have I mentioned how poorly I deal with sleep deprivation?  I used to be a champion sleeper, but since Rhys’ arrival I’d had all kinds of trouble.  I started having nightmarish visions of me snuggled up in my hotel bed with everything I needed for a good night of sleep (read: no baby) and NOT being able to sleep.  It was a horrifying possibility.

Fortunately, that did not happen.  Rather, I had two wonderful, peaceful, restful nights of sleep.  I didn’t have trouble falling asleep.  I didn’t wake up to go to the bathroom.  I didn’t have weird dreams.  I wasn’t too hot.  I wasn’t too cold.  I slept and slept and slept and felt human again.

In my defense, I came home and 1) had a game plan for how to get Rhys to sleep better as I’d spent a bunch of time on the plane reading sleep books and 2) offered to send Brian to his folks or a hotel for a night (which he declined). 

As an aside, the other thing I came home with was over 100 ounces of breast milk.  I had it all in a cooler and was so geared up for a fight to take it through security that I was nearly shaking.  All for nothing.  TSA did not even open the cooler.  Talk about shock and awe.
     
So, the morals of this story? 
1. Cheryl loves sleep. 
2. TSA is ridiculous. 
3. Brian is perfect. Well, almost...  

Tonight he tried to feed Rhys Rainier beer.  I mean really, Brian, if you’re going to feed our kid beer, can’t you pick something a little more sophisticated.



1 comment: