Sunday, March 15, 2015

Lorelei - 9 months!

It's been far too long since I've given a good, thorough Lorelei update.  Here we go!

Our sweet little lady is 9.5 months old.  She continues to be a skinny little thing, but it really doesn't bother me at all anymore since she is clearly healthy and thriving.  She weighs almost 18 pounds, which puts her in the 35th-ish percentile for weight.  She's in the 90th percentile for height. 

Having never really loved the bottle, she has happily transitioned to a sippy cup. When I am at work, she takes most of her breast milk that way.  Katie offers the bottle before naps, and Lorelei will humor her with a few sips, but that's it.  She's continuing to do really great with solids.  She eats a wide variety of foods and so far hasn't really rejected anything we've offered.  It's clear that she loves watching Rhys eat and mimicking him.

I nurse her when I'm home with her and she does fine but, except at night, it's not exactly a calm, leisurely affair.  She's squirmy and pulls my hair and grabs my face, etc.  Since it doesn't take long, I don't really mind and I think I'll make it to my goal of nursing for a year.  I am really sick of pumping at work, but I'm so close to my goal, I won't give up now!  On May 27th, I plan to smash my pump with a hammer and never look back.

She's been giving us some decent chunks of sleep at night, but she is certainly not consistently sleeping through the night.  In fact, she's only really slept through the night a handful of times her whole life.  I did not think I'd still be dealing with this much sleep deprivation with a nine-month old.  I really hope it changes soon.

Lorelei started pulling up on things just a week or two after she started crawling.  She's not really cruising yet, but she will take some steps when you hold her hands.

"Mama's girl" is an accurate phrase to describe Lorelei.  She is super attached to me and while it's very sweet, it can be overwhelming at times.  It's also really difficult at night because 95% of the time she'll only accept me for comfort.  That is extremely frustrating for both me and Brian.

Generally, Lorelei is pretty good-natured and chill.  That being said, she will most definitely let you know when she is unhappy.  We're glad that she's willing to stand up for herself.  We do wish that she'd understand we are not trying to torture her when we change her diaper.

It's been really different having a baby in a large house.  At our townhouse, Rhys was never out of our sight and never more than five feet away from us.  Here at our new house, that is obviously not the case and it's quite nice!  I feel like it's helping Lorelei to be more independent.  She's willing to play by herself a lot more than Rhys was (and is!).  

Lorelei says "mama" and seems to know that it means me.  She doesn't say it consistently nor is she consistent with the signs we've taught her.  To be fair to her, we haven't been particularly consistent in our efforts to teach her!

It's not PC to say, but I am excited for Lorelei to be done being a baby. She's about as sweet as they come, but the baby phase just isn't my thing.  I am excited for her to walk and talk and to be able to do fun mom-daughter things with her.  (I won't lie, I hope she's not as much of a talker as Rhys is).

And, now, on to the good stuff...the pictures!

Not necessarily in this picture, but more and more I think she looks like Brian.

We played in the backyard on a recent sunny Saturday.  The girl is not afraid of dirt - yeah!
She does the tongue thing quite a lot.
She's trying to take steps while holding onto things and the steps just turn into the splits, which does not make her very happy. 

The back is just as cute as the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment