Saturday, December 13, 2014

Weighty Issues

I'm a lot less worried about Lorelei's weight than I was a few months ago, but it still nags at me.  Even though I can see how well she's developing and how healthy she looks, it's just hard to ignore the idea that is something is wrong because she's not gaining as much as she's "supposed to."

So far, our pediatrician hasn't recommended any particular course of action.  She has questioned my milk supply which I find highly annoying.  I have worked (and continue to work) really, really hard to breastfeed Lorelei, believing that it is the best for her.  The implication that not only is it not the best for her, but in fact is causing her slow weight gain is hurtful, frankly.  For many reasons, I am confident that my milk supply is not an issue, but it is still hard to be questioned by an "authoritative" figure.

I plan to continue breastfeeding Lorelei but I am very happy to have a little pressure off my shoulders as she is taking really well to solids.  We have to be careful to not let her go overboard as breastmilk needs to be her primary source of nutrition for several more months, but it's just nice to be able to watch her enjoy food.

Speaking of enjoying food...I have been doing far too much of that myself lately.  Between the stress of this situation and my subconscious belief that me eating more will help Lorelei gain weight, I've been eating far too much crap.  So, while Lorelei maintains her petite little self, I am fattening up nicely.

We go back to the doc for a weight check in mid-January.  In the meantime, we just keep on, keeping on.  Feeding and, as importantly, enjoying our little girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment