Saturday, January 17, 2015

Mommy Dearest

I don't know why, but it drives me bonkers when Rhys calls me Mommy.  I prefer Mama, Mom is also fine.  Frankly, I'd rather he call me Cheryl than Mommy.  I don't know why it gets under my skin so much.  Maybe it's the whiny way he says it...

He was doing it a lot this summer and I thought we had nixed it but it cropped up again recently.  I couldn't figure out where it was coming from until I overheard the program we've been letting him watch - Daniel's Neighborhood.  Daniel calls his mother "mommy."  Urgh!  It was tempting to put the kibosh on ol' Daniel but Rhys LOVES it so much and, actually, it's a really great show (other than the mommy thing).

The show is essentially an animated version of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and it teaches some really wonderful lessons that Rhys actually listens to!  Brian and I can say something until we're blue in the face and it often goes nowhere, but if Daniel's parents say it, it's golden.

It's been fascinating watching Rhys "try on" the things he see on the show.  One day he'll watch an episode about jealously and the next day we'll hear him saying he's jealous about something.  Or, the episode will be about what to do when you have to wait/be patient and shortly thereafter he'll be singing a song..."when you wait, you can play or sing or imagine anything....."  I assume we'll have a lot more of this when he starts going to preschool and gets exposed to all kinds of new things.

All in all, if he's going to be obsessed with a TV show, I really couldn't ask for a better one even if it means being called Mommy now and then.

An unrelated pic...but good shot of his recent haircut.

No comments:

Post a Comment