Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Brian

I wanted to write this post on Sunday (Brian's birthday) but the computer was occupied by none other than the birthday boy himself.  Anyone who knows Brian at all, knows how hard he works and his birthday was no exception.  Of course I was disappointed to not spend more quality time with him on the big day, but it comes with the territory of being married to someone with such a strong work ethic.  And, though I complain, I'd much rather a little disappointment here and there than be married to a slacker.

One of my team members recently asked me for some marriage advice (her wedding was impending).  I said something along the lines of "don't sweat the small stuff."  (I told her that Brian's tendency to leave the counter covered in bread crumbs drives me bonkers, but I'd choose a kitchen full of bread crumbs over life without him in a heartbeat.)  I wholeheartedly believe this but my best advice is this - marry someone you like (hopefully she is, but just in case I offered the other words of wisdom).

Plain and simple, I like Brian.  A lot.  As I've said, before he's my favorite person.  He's easy to be around.  He's fun.  He's generous and kind and authentic.  He's a great conversationalist.  I know how lucky I am to be his wife.  I try my best to express my love and appreciation for him daily, but I welcome the formal opportunity of his birthday to make sure he knows how much I value and appreciate him.

Brian's birthday falls two days after the anniversary of Mat's death.  Remembering and grieving for Mat on the 21st just makes me want to celebrate Brian that much more on the 23rd.  My life is infinitely better because of him and I am so very, very grateful for his birth.

Happy birthday, husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment