Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Virtual Greetings and Lorelei Update

August is a busy month for birthdays and anniversaries.  Normally, I'm pretty good about sending cards (if I do say so myself).  This year, I did not send one card.  I've been too busy worrying about Lorelei and trying to be patient with Rhys to do much else.  So, here are some electronic well wishes:

Happy Birthday, Erica!  I hope you enjoyed your chocolate. I look forward to celebrating with you in person someday...

Happy Anniversary, Alisha and Shane!  You two are a great couple and we love hanging out with you...speaking of which, just let us know when you're ready for us to come for an overnighter.  :)

Happy Birthday, Alisha!  I hope your day is filled with some peace and quiet (hahahahahha, I probably should wish for you something realistic).  You're a great friend and I appreciate you.

Happy Anniversary, Pa and Donna!  Seems like you two have been married forever, which is a good thing.  You two are a good yin and yang.

Happy Anniversary, Sara and Steve!  You two really have been married forever.  Congratulations!

And, now, a Lorelei update...

She has been a dream baby with one (big) exception.  She's got me stressed to the max because she's not gaining "enough" weight.  I knew her weight gain was on the low side as I've been weighing her periodically, but I was hoping it wasn't any cause for concern.  At her two-month check-up this past Friday the doctor said she dropped from the 50th percentile in weight to the 35th percentile, which is in fact a bit of a cause for concern.  Now, the doc wasn't overly concerned but of course I was sent into a stressed out tailspin.  Doc said just make sure to feed her at least every three hours during the day, let her sleep at night and come back in 4 weeks for a weight check.  I would *love* to be able to be so non-chalant about it!  But, you all know me...I have to DO something.

So, I spent the weekend with Dr. Google researching reasons she might be a reluctant eater.  I've determined she might have a little reflux and am now cutting dairy and caffeine from my diet to see if that helps.  (I *may* have had more than my fair share of pizza and chocolate in the last two months).  Seems like a good enough action, plan, right?  Nope, not for me.  

Instead, I also started questioning my milk supply and started drinking a lactation tea.  Basically overnight Lorelei turned into a fussy baby that had to be held most of the time.  Turns out the tea has an ingredient that can be really hard on a baby's tummy.  Ooops. Quit the tea yesterday and am (im)patiently waiting for it to get out of both our systems.

I also decided I should pump and bottle feed her as a supplement and to make *sure* she was getting some decent feedings.  Haha, Lorelei says.  Take your bottle and shove it.  She refused a bottle all weekend.  Just when I thought my stress levels couldn't get any higher that really shot them through the roof. 

I also decided to try and feed her every hour or two.  She and I are both really sick of seeing my boobs.  I think she thinks I'm crazy (which, of course, is true).  She's really not interested in eating that often, but I keep trying because seeing her eat is really the only thing that calms me down a bit. 

If at her next weight check she's still in the 35th percentile, then there's no problem.  If she's dropped again, then the doc will be more concerned.  Yikes.  Let's hope that's not the case.  I can't imagine what my action plan will look like then...

The good news is that Lorelei has no idea anything is wrong.  Other than the tea upsetting her, she's been an easygoing, happy, smiley little girl.  Those smiles really do keep me going.

This is her face when looking at Rhys.  "Is that crazy kid seriously my brother?"

"So, seriously, he's my brother?"

Mama, I'm almost bigger than that cat.  Doesn't that make you feel better?
    

No comments:

Post a Comment